The Peck Group, LC
  • Comprehensive Tax Law Representation Since 1995

    We handle every aspect of tax law: preparing tax returns, representing clients during audits, resolving IRS and state tax controversies, and creating tax planning strategies for the future.

  • Problems With The IRS Or State Tax

    Our attorneys are committed to providing efficient and effective tax solutions for individuals and businesses in Georgia and nationwide.

  • Planning For The Future

    Our lawyers help individuals and businesses with all aspects of estate and tax planning. We help our clients use proactive strategies to minimize tax implications in the future

  • Changing The Balance Of Power

    Does it feel like the government has all the power? Taxpayers have rights, too. We use our knowledge of tax law to shift the balance of power and ensure that your rights are protected.

  • Tax Solutions … And Peace Of Mind

Gathering your tax documents to file your return

It may be only February, but tax season is officially upon us. By now, you should have received all of your relevant tax documentation to file your tax return for the past year.

The April 15 deadline may still be a long way off, but as we’ve discussed previously, there are significant advantages to filing early. In today’s post, we outline the tax forms you should have received by now.

The tax documents you receive depend on your personal tax circumstances. All of the following must be postmarked and mailed to you by January 31—unless you have expressly consented to receiving them electronically.


If you work as an employee, your employer should send you a W-2 form for your wages and benefits. If you received gambling winnings in the previous year, you should receive a form W-2G.


You may receive a 1098 form if you have home mortgage interest. There are also other variations of this form, which you may receive based on your circumstance. For example:

  • 1098-E: You’ll receive this form if you need to report student loan interest.
  • 1098-T: Your academic institution will send you this form if you have to report education credits, such as tuition and scholarships.


1099 forms can apply to many different types of income. Some of the most common 1099s include:

  • 1099-MISC: You’re likely to receive this form if you completed work in the previous year as a contractor.
  • 1099-DIV: If you received dividend payments from stocks you own, your financial institution should send you this form.
  • 1099-R: If you received distributions from an IRA or other retirement plan, you’ll receive this form.

If there is a form you should have received by now, the IRS provides guidelines on steps you should take.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for a Response

Talk to an Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Peck Group, LC
5855 Sandy Springs Circle N.E., Suite 190
Atlanta, GA 30328

Phone: 770-884-6914
Fax: 770-933-2369
Atlanta Law Office Map

Payment Cards